Registering for Tax in the UK

You must register yourself for tax purposes if you live in the UK and receive royalties or any kind of payment from us. This article is intended for UK residents; if you live in another country, you may need to register for paying tax on your income from us, but we cannot advise you about how to do that.

Register with HMRC for self-assessment

If you receive a normal wage from a normal job where you are an employee and are paid by your employer, then you probably haven’t had any reason until now to register for self-assessment, because the PAYE (pay as you earn) system mandated by the government in the UK will deal with all your tax before your wages reach your bank account.

However, if you have any income other than that paid through PAYE, then you must register with HMRC for self-assessment. Having any other income means that you count as being self-employed in order to gain that other income, and therefore it is a legal requirement that you declare all income you receive over the course of the year.

It is simple and hassle-free to register. Go to the HMRC website and follow the instructions there:

If you are stuck with any part of the process, give HMRC a call. They are usually very helpful people on the phone; they will be quite understanding, and they’ll talk you through the process.

Submitting your self-assessment

The financial year runs from the 6th of April until the 5th of April (inclusive), and you have until the 31st of January to submit your self-assessment. So, for the financial year between 6th April 2017 and 5th April 2018, for example, you have until 31st January 2019 to make your submission. There is little to be gained by waiting until the deadline, although, similarly, there’s no need to get it done instantly unless you like having your paperwork done in a timely fashion.

Once you have registered with HMRC, they will give you details about how to log into your HMRC Online portal, where you can follow their online form and make your submission this way. At any time, you can give HMRC a call, and they will talk you through the process.

Keeping records of income

To be able to file your self-assessment return each year, you will need to know how much income you gained from Fallen Rook Publishing during the course of the financial year. Whenever you receive royalties from us, keep a note of how much you receive, and then it will be easy to find that number again when it comes to submitting your self-assessment.

What if you don’t register?

If you do not register with HMRC, then this will count as a tax offence, and is illegal. It is mandatory that you do register for self-assessment if you receive any income related to any work you have done if it has not already been taxed through PAYE.

Can’t Fallen Rook handle this?

Unfortunately not. Because of how employment legislation works in this country, you are responsible for reporting this kind of income, and there’s nothing we can do on your behalf, other than to give you regular updates about how much you have earned in royalties.

Further reading

If you would like to educate yourself further on this matter, the following resources are quite useful: